Pearland residents: Get ready for Hurricane Season
The Atlantic Hurricane Season begins June 1 and lasts until Nov 30. Before the season starts, residents can prepare for unpredictable Texas weather during Hurricane Preparedness Week (May 7 – 13). Residents can also visit the City’s hurricane preparedness page to find up-to-the-minute news and tips.
Preparedness is the key to protecting Pearland residents and property. By doing so, residents ensure that they will survive if a hurricane threatens the Pearland area. By knowing areas of vulnerability and what actions to take, citizens will be prepared in the event of an emergency.
The City of Pearland recommends all residents to develop an emergency plan for communicating with family and friends, build a disaster supply kit, obtain a NOAA Weather Radio and to stockpile non-perishable food items and bottled water. Residents should also stay updated with the latest weather news by signing up to receive emergency alerts at pearlandtx.gov/alerts.
And, take the following steps to be safe this Hurricane Season:
- Pick up a copy of the 2016 Brazoria County Hurricane Preparedness Guide at a City facility.
- Visit readyhoustontx.gov for regional disaster preparedness information.
- Register in advance, before a storm is in the Gulf, for transportation assistance by dialing 2-1-1.
- For ideas on developing emergency plans and supply kits, log on to texasprepares.org.
- To catch the latest weather information, check the National Weather Service website: nws.noaa.gov.
- The Texas Department of Transportation's Hurricane Information website, drivetexas.org, has information on road conditions during or after a storm.