City of Pearland Improves Mobility with McHard Road Extension
The City of Pearland is one step closer to completing an additional east-west route to parallel 518 with a construction contract that was awarded to James Construction Group in the amount of $29,658,286 for construction services associated with the McHard Road Extension Project. The Notice to Proceed construction is expected to be granted in mid-July 2020, with an anticipated completion date of July 2022.
The project will extend 3.5 miles of four-lane roadway from the McHard and Cullen intersection to tie in with the McHard and Mykawa intersection. Once completed, the project will expand McHard Road from Pearland Parkway west, ending at Pearland’s city limit at FM 521 (Almeda Road).
The completion of McHard Road will alleviate traffic, as well as provide an additional route to parallel FM518, improving east-west mobility in the city. The project is in accordance with the City’s Thoroughfare plan to provide alternate east/west routes between SH288 and SH35.
The road will consist of a four-lane, concrete curb and gutter, divided roadway with raised medians and underground drainage. Five traffic signals at secondary thoroughfares, as well as sidewalks, street lighting and landscaping will also be installed.
The total estimated cost of the project is approximately $45 million, receiving funding from both the State of Texas and the federal government. An Advanced Funding Agreement with TxDOT will allow for the City to be reimbursed for up to 80 percent of construction costs, with the City bearing the cost of the remaining 20 percent.
To learn more about this project click here to visit the McHard Road Extension Project Page.