- public involvement history
- project funding
- preliminary plans - Contract awarded in January 2015 to Brown & Gay to develop plans that meet the City's design standards which include 24-foot traffic lanes and 8-foot sidewalks
- Historical documents: Public Meeting (April 2009) - Public Meeting (October 2008)
- significant project dates
- project map
- Frequently Asked Questions - updated 3.31.16
- Tip Funding Application
- Traffic Counts and Speed Study Map
Update for August 2017
In preparation for the Hughes Ranch Road expansion project the existing waterline that runs within the corridor, but will be in conflict with the future improvements, must be replaced. Design work for this project began in December 2015 and completed in May 2017. The plans bid out on August 8, 2017 and the City received favorable bid prices. The contract for construction is set to go to Council for award on August 28th.
This project will install a 12 inch waterline from Smith Ranch Road to Cullen Parkway by trenchless construction methods (directional drill). Work is planned to begin on or about September 18 this year and should take about 180 days to complete, weather permitting. The contractor is Reddico Construction who have performed several waterline projects for the City in the recent past.
This work will take place in the right of way for the most part but there will be some instances requiring closing portion of Hughes Ranch Road to install crossings. The contractor will have traffic control and possibly flagmen along the corridor during this activity. Please follow their instructions and be aware of moving construction equipment and personnel.
It should be noted again, that this work is for the replacement of the existing waterline and is NOT the early beginning s of roadway construction. Roadway construction is tentatively scheduled for late 2018. This website will update again prior to that work beginning and the City will hold another public meeting at that time to provide residents in the area additional information.
Update for April 2016
Project History: Hughes Ranch Road has been on the City's Thoroughfare Plan as a planned secondary thoroughfare, with a four lane raised median boulevard cross section for over ten years. A link to the Thoroughfare Plan is found here. Thoroughfare Plan. The project design was initiated by Brazoria County and handed over to the City at 90% completion when the City annexed the area. The remaining design and construction will be managed by the City of Pearland.
- Classified as a roadway widening project
- Funded by State (Prop 7) and Federal Funds
- Project will reconstruct Hughes Ranch Road between Cullen and Smith Ranch Road from a two lane asphalt open ditch roadway to a four lane concrete curb and gutter boulevard with a raised median.
- The project length is 2 miles.
- The project includes approximately 13,000 LF of Noise Barrier along the major subdivisions.
- Street lighting, and landscaping are included.
- The existing water line along the roadway will be extended to eliminate gaps, provide redundant service, improve water quality. Some existing water line sections will be relocated to avoid conflicts with the roadway and noise barrier construction.
- Right of way acquisition includes approximately 26 parcels were segments of right of way must be acquired for the new improvements
The roadway widening will provide enhanced safety and improved access to adjacent subdivisions, Challenger Elementary, Dawson High School. With the widening of SH 288 and the addition of Toll lanes on SH288, a new off ramp will be constructed at Hughes Ranch Rd. and this roadway will provide better east – west mobility in this area of the City. The 90 percent roadway alignment is included below. For additional information, please contact Susan Johnson, Project Manager, at email@example.com.
Click here to open the roadway alignment.
The City of Pearland is committed to providing residents with up-to-date project information on the projects that affect their homes, businesses and community. In an effort to ensure that the public has information throughout the design process, project schedule information and all details regarding the proposed alignment and acquisition of right of way, public meeting dates, and the next steps, the City has established the Hughes Road expansion project information page. The Web page will be updated as information develops. Information planned for this page includes design memorandum, progress meeting minutes, notices of public meetings, changes to the schedule or design, and more. Residents interested in receiving updates can also
Hughes Ranch Road has been on the City’s Thoroughfare Plan as a planned
Hughes Ranch Road current and projected traffic counts for the different segments.
|Smith Ranch to Miller Ranch||9,038||27,200||32,000|
|Miller Ranch to Challenger Elementary||6,905||16,100||22,000|
|Challenger Elem to Cullen Pkwy||5,892||15,500||21,600|