About. The Mykawa Road Widening Project, from Beltway 8 to FM 518 includes improving the existing roadway to a 4-lane concrete curb and gutter divided roadway section. The purpose of the proposed project is to improve mobility and safety in this corridor. This thoroughfare acts as a major connection to Beltway 8 and boasts several large commercial/industrial businesses with heavy truck traffic. Expansion of the roadway improves traffic flow, relieving congestion for commuters traveling to and from the beltway or FM 518, and will enhance overall safety by widening the road and installation of concrete curbs and implementation of a gutter roadway.
Scope. An underground storm sewer system, detention, traffic signals where warranted, sidewalk and a ten foot wide shared use path along the west side of the roadway will be installed. Landscaping and irrigation will also be installed where appropriate. Additional right-of-way acquisition is planned for the areas north of McHard Rd. to Beltway 8.
This project is being developed with partial reimbursement of funds by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) through the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). Construction is anticipated to begin in 2021.
Residents can also register to receive project updates through the City’s e-notification system Everbridge. Project information is often available through the City’s Facebook page, Twitter and Instagram accounts as well. We encourage residents and property owners’ to sign up for the e-alerts and information, please contact Cara Davis, Senior Project Manager, at email@example.com
|Design Start||August 2017||March 2018|
|Bid Start||August 2020||August 2020|
|Construction Start||TxDOT to manage construction||TxDOT to manage construction|
|Proposed Construction Completion||June 2022|
Below you will find budget information for this project. Last updated March 2018.
Public Meeting Information
Where: Pearland Independent School District
Virgil Gant Education Support Center
1928 N. Main Street
Pearland, TX 77581
When: Tuesday, April 23, 2019
5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Purpose: The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), Houston District, in conjunction with the City of Pearland, hosted a Public Meeting regarding the proposed alignment and improvements to Mykawa Road from Beltway 8 to FM 518 in Harris and Brazoria Counties, Texas. The meeting was an open house format so the public may come and go at their convenience, and staff was available to answer questions.
Comments: Comments must be received on or before Wednesday, May 8, 2019, to be a part of the official meeting record. Click here for official Comment Card.
Submit Comments by MAIL to:
TxDOT Houston District
Attn: Director of Project Development
P.O. Box 1386
Houston, Texas 77251-1386
Submit Comments by EMAIL to:
- Meeting Handout – English / Español
- Meeting Exhibit Boards
- Schematic – FM 518 to McHard Road
- Schematic – McHard Road to Beltway 8
- Notice – English/Spanish
- Consider public meeting comments
- Conduct environmental assessment
- Offer of Public Hearing/Notice Affording Opportunity for Public Hearing
- Approval of Environmental Assessment
- Begin right of way acquisition, projected in 2020
- Anticipated construction activities to begin in 2021 upon approval
- The project will consist of replacing the 2-lane asphalt roadway with surface drainage, with a 4-lane divided roadway with underground drainage and raised medians conforming to the City’s standard Major Thoroughfare cross section.
- Design elements include sidewalks, drainage, detention ponds, signal modifications (if required), signage and pavement markings, illumination, traffic control plans, storm water pollution prevention plans, and landscape/irrigation plan