Old Settler's Cemetery

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

IMG_2193Old Settler's Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Pearland and is a Texas Historical Marker. It is located at the corner of SH 35 and Halik Road.

Settlement of this area began as a result of railroad development through northern Brazoria County in 1882 and the Old Townsite was platted in 1894. A community graveyard was begun with the burial of pioneer Echolean C. Ackerly, who died August 11, 1894. Four years later, her burial plot and the surrounding land was officially dedicated as a cemetery.

Six Civil War veterans are interred in the graveyard. The cemetery contains several types of burials. The early practice of scraping the earth over graves was followed by cement paving, gravel cover, and bricking. Styles of gravestones range from simple stone markers to tombstones featuring elaborately carved decorations. Old Settler's remained the primary community burial ground until 1936. Today it continues to be a reminder of Pearland's early history. 

 

Texas Graveyards - A Cultural Legacy

Rubbings of Some of the Old Settler's Carvings

1900 Census

Brazoria County 1860 Census

Civil War Veteran's Plots