| WHAT IS THE DECENNIAL CENSUS?
As required by the U.S Constitution, the U.S. government takes a population and housing count of all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Island Areas every ten years.
Census Day will be April 1, 2020
| WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO ME?
Data from the census provides the basis for federal funding for your community and how your community is represented in government. The census affects how your community plans for the future.
- Ensure public services and funding for schools, hospitals, and fire departments
- Plan new homes and businesses and improve neighborhoods
- Determine how many seats your state is allocated in the House of Representatives
Census 101 | 2020 Census: Why We Ask | Census Rumors
| HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE IN THE 2020 CENSUS?
Every household will have the option of responding online, by mail, or by phone.
When it's time to respond, most households will receive an invitation by mail.
- 95% of households will receive their census invitation by mail
- Depending on how likely you area is to respond online, you'll receive either
- an invitation encouraging you to respond online or
- an invitation with a paper questionnaire
- Letter Invitation, Online Response
- Most areas of the country are likely to respond online, so most households will receive a letter asking you to go online to complete the census questionnaire
- Letter Invitation, Paper Questionnaire
- Areas that are less likely to respond online will receive a paper questionnaire along with their invitation
- Invitation will also include information about how to respond online or by phone.
What the U.S. Census Bureau Will Send in the Mail
| March 12-20
An invitation to respond online to the 2020 Census.
(Some households will also receive paper questionnaires).
| March 16-24
|| A reminder letter.
|| If you haven't responded yet:
| March 26-April 3
|| A reminder postcard.
| April 8-16
A reminder letter and paper questionnaire.
| April 20-27
|| A final reminder postcard before we follow up in person.
How the 2020 Census will invite everyone to respond
Who Counts in the Census? - Children, Military Personnel, and Other Special Circumstances
|HOW CAN I HELP WITH THE 2020 CENSUS?
The U.S. Census Bureau is recruiting thousands of people across the country to assist with the 2020 Census count. You can earn extra income while helping your community.
- Recruiting Assistants
- Census Field Supervisors
- Census Takers
Most positions offer flexible hours including daytime, evenings, and weekends. Click here for details